What major do I need?

I plan on opening my own endangered wildlife sanctuary / breeding center but I'm completely unsure what I need to major in? I keep getting mixed answers

• patty

contact the diferrent colleges/universities and ask their advice.

• Joe

So you figured yahoo was the place to go ?  

• patty
      4 weeks agoReport

yeah like we are all university graduates

Gender Studies should work well for providing the knowledge to open a safe place for all the variables of gender outside of male and female. Model it on Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Business and political science.

You might need to get experience as vet if you want to work hands on, you'd need a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree, or a Bachelors in Environmental Science if you plan on just running it.

If you want to take this seriously I'd create a career path, this is going to take decades to get off the ground. You would need to get funding, and need to a create a nonprofit organization. I would start by getting some experience working at a nonprofit. Talk with people, ask what they did to set up there nonprofit, what they struggled with, and what they learned.

You would also need to network. After getting experience working with animals or in nonprofits you would need to meet people working for the same cause, or build a reputation in order to get a grant from the government. A nonprofit like this would take millions of dollars to start, and potentially millions a year to maintain. People aren't just gonna ship you endangered animals, they are endangered. They likely cost a lot of money, and people won't trust you with them if you don't have a reliable reputation.

It's a nice idea to run sanctuary, but you need to be someone else's foot solider and build that experience; learning along the way. There are already tons of organizations to work for or volunteer for, and one day you could lead them or open up you're own. Just remember you need to make a pathway for you're goals.

• .

There is no required major for that. But getting a degree as a veterinarian might help.