How much spending money should I bring to Mexico City and what places should I avoid at night?

I was thinking $300 (not including hotel expenses) for a 5 day stay in Mexico City, also what are good hotels that are within the city? 

Here is a good guide to neighborhoods and where to stay in Mexico City. https://www.thecrazytourist.com/where-to-stay-in-m...

You can certainly eat on $300, but you might not be able to do much else. You do have to be a little careful. Get taxis at the official taxi stands- don't flag one down- or have your hotel call one for you. Don't flash money, and don't get drunk in bars.

• Eastside Guz

Adding to what Gypsyfish advised you, the atm teller machines can give you all the pesos you need and if you have a Bank of America account you can go to Scotia Bank atms so they will not charge you an exchange fee...check for an arrangement with your bank in Mexico.