Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 months ago

Why is Spanish so hard to learn?

With more and more Hispanics moving into the United States it's getting hard to understand them if they aren't bilingual. Why is Spanish such a hard language to learn? I've tried to learn it on multiple occasions but I am just not intelligent enough to. Thanks.

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

I am in the same boat. I tried learning it on duolingo and it didn't help much. Unless you have someone to practice the language with, it can take years and sometimes you never do. People learn a language by hearing it, speaking it with others, and reading it.

White supremacists claim that spanish is the easiest language in the world since they think mexicans invented the spanish language and therefore they want to imply that those "dumb mexicans" speak a language "that even a monkey could learn"..

The reality is that spanish is a complex language... specially when it comes to understanding spoken, informal spanish. ... this is because each country uses a lot of jargon, idioms, and some nations even use their own conjugations as is the case of Argentina/ Uruguay; Chile, and Spain.. in other nations such as Colombia people use the "usted" form a lot even when addressing children... whereas Mexicans use the "tu" form a lot..

Now, understanding caribbean spanish (specially cuban and puerto rican) is a real challenge ! since they tend to speak fast and additionally it seems that they don't pronounce the "r" or "rr" properly...

However I think chilean spanish (the informal one) is the hardest to understand... even native speakers have a hard time understanding chilean spanish.

To make things worse/more frustrating, hispanics often don't realize that their idioms aren't understood by people from other nations...

Now, understanding latin american or spaniard tv news shouldn't be such a challenge since reporters try to use a "neutral" spanish...however understanding informal spanish which is the spanish spoken by most latin americans can be difficult.

It is indeed easy to learn a lot of Spanish in a short time.Yet it takes a very long time of daily exposure and interaction with native speakers to learn it well enough.

Spanish is not as easy as some people tell you..

In my experience there are 4 steps to learn a language I will list them in order of ease:

1. Writing ; you can use all the time you need and write what you know.

2. Reading: Here again you have lots of time.

3; Speaking ; You use the words you know.

4; Understanding the rapid spoken language takes by far the longest.

It depends on how you're learning.

Most people still find the traditional method works as long as you're prepared to put some effort into it: learning basic verb conjugations and noun declensions, and PRACTISING them as a drill, over and over.

Add some listening, some conversation and some reading to all that, and do at least 20 minutes every day, and you'd have to be VERY unintelligent not to make progress.

• John P

It might depend on your previous experience of learning foreign languages. At school I learned French and German as modern languages, and also Latin. My son works in Spain, so I have begun to learn Spanish so that I can talk to the locals when I visit him there. I find Spanish fairly easy.

And note, too, that if you are in the USA you already use Spanish words such as canyon; mesa; rodeo; lariat; mesa, which we do not use in Britain. Several of your state names are Spanish, and many of your city names are Spanish.

• Zirp

For native speakers of English, Spanish actually is one of the easy ones.

Why is it so much harder than Esperanto? Because Spanish is a national language and as such, doesn't just serve to communicate but also to exclude outsiders

Because no one cares to learn it and are too lazy to xDDD

I think in general, it's much easier to learn a language as a child than as an adult.

I've tried sporadically to learn Spanish and haven't been able to pick up more than a few words or phrases. I basically am boxed in to thinking only in English. I'm not sure how to change that when it's so engrained.

Not every can learn a language equally.  I personally found Spanish and German easy, especially when conversing in only the language you are trying to learn.  My oldest daughter however, spent 3 years learning Mandarin Chinese...Way too complicated for me and is considered one of the most difficult for English speakers to learn.

No, it's not.

• finc3 months agoReport

it's not? are you a native spanish speaker? si lo sos , no tiene sentido que evalues la dificultad de tu idioma nativo.