Do you really think Jesus Christ would give anyone wine or alcohol?

Yes. While I don't think an actual Jesus existed, the time frame would have had a lot of unclean water where wine was in fact used as a substitute when good water was not available.

Yes, if the alcohol were healthier than the local water supply.

Yes,

He would.

• Hogie

Why would you think otherwise? Who created grapes? Who created the fermentation process?

• Paul

Yes He would, and did. In fact, He used it in instituting the most holy sacrament of His Church. There is nothing wrong with wine or alcohol. There is something wrong with abuse of wine, alcohol, or anything else.

No - but only because Jesus Christ is a character in a story.

• BJ

Yes he would, and he did.

At Passover it became the custom for family groups to drink several cups of wine, which, by that time, would be fermented.

Hence, in celebrating the Passover of 33 C.E., Jesus drank real red wine, some of which he offered to his disciples in introducing the Lord’s Evening Meal. Mr 14:23-25

He used fermented wine, not unfermented grape juice. Biblical references to wine are to literal wine, not to the unfermented juice of the grape.

Jesus’ enemies accused him of being given to drinking wine, a charge that would mean nothing if the wine were mere grape juice.

• yesmar

There is no doubt.

When the account of Jesus turning vats of water into best quality wine, which the Master of Ceremonies was astonished at, I believe it, for the account was written by eye-witnesses. Further, the big wedding party was well into several days of celebration (as was the custom back then) when Jesus provided them with excellent wine.

When the account of Jesus holding Passover with His disciples speaks of them having the various cups of wine throughout the meal, I believe they all drank wine. As Luke's gospel states, "After taking the cup, Jesus gave thanks and said, 'Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.' It was not water but the fruit of the vine. And then Jesus took another cup after the supper and spoke of this cup being the new covenant in his blood,poured out for them. We are talking red wine here. Read Luke 22:13-20.

The Bible speaks of "wine that makes the heart of mortal man rejoice" as a gift from God - Psalm 104:15 for which we give thanks. Why on Earth would any believer in God and Jesus NOT drink wine, when it's only drunkenness that is prohibited?

I don't see why not. The bible doesn't demonize alcohol, just drunkenness, right? I mean, even the one righteous man to survive the flood planted a vineyard first chance he got.

Besides, there was a lot of tradition of viewing alcohol as linking you to the divine in pretty much every culture early Christianity would have found itself in. Especially Greek and Roman culture.