promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Are U.S. citizens in Mexico likely to be arbitrarily detained by the Mexican Police?

I considered going to Enscendia in Baja California with a group to teach English for a weekend. And my dad is a U.S. government employee has advised that it is not safe that the corrupt Mexican authorities can detain U.S. citizens in Mexico without any reason at all and hold you for ransom and that me being a light skinned U.S. citizen would make me a easy target.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ranger
    Lv 7
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I have gone to Mexico every winter for the past several years. I have never been singled out for being white or American. 

There are two types of people who have trouble in Mexico. 

The ones looking for dope usually get robbed and or murdered. If someone offers to sell you dope, say no thanks and walk away. 

The other kind are the ones who are just plain asshats that make sexual comments to the women, and derogative comments to the men usually wind up with their butts kicked and thrown in jail. 

Everyone else treats the Mexicans with respect and they have fun and enjoy the good weather and the beaches. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

This is a rumor. Mexican citizens attempting to flee TO the US are often held  for ransom at border  by cartels .Many Mexican citizens are White and blonde/red haired. blue/green eyes. Their families have lived in interior since the 1860's. 

A touristy place like Ensenada or Cabo or Mazatlan or Puerto Penasco lives on tourist trade. They don't dare allow any of this malarkey. 

I went to Rocky Pt last Jan, No problemo.  Locals Happy to get my Gringo dollars,  friendly/accommodating.

I am going back on the 7th for the big motorcycle rally 7,000 Gringo Harley riders, so  I'll be "safe". And, I'm about as "white" as you can get ,short of an albino.   Cant arrest us all..

Source(s): live 75 mile from border 16 years. Mexican national friends.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

That has happened. But the crazy cult related murder of Mark Kilroy also happened and millions of US persons still travel to Mexico each year and return unscathed. So these things aren't really all that common.

• GTB
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

That sort of behavior has been going on for many years

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

No, you have it backwards. It's the USA police (I.C.E., etc.) who detain brown-skinned people without cause, separate parents from children, and throw them into concentration camps.

Of course, if the Mexican government started doing that to Americans, I couldn't blame them at all.

• 7 months ago

If your dad is the expert on this, I see no need to ask strangers.

However, you will probably need a work permit, so your dad might not really be a government employee if he did not advise you of this.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.