Shawn asked in TravelAustraliaSydney · 1 year ago

Traveling from USA to Australia, for my phone do I need a power converter, or only an adapter plug?

I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks from USA to Australia. I thought I needed a power converter to charge my phone/small electronics but I've seen someone in a review say you don't actually need one to charge my phone over there? And I would only need the adapter to plug in the wall, is this true? Their standard voltage power is 230V and ours in USA is 110V so I'm confused how I wouldn't need a converter, and only the adapter plug.


Edit: my phone is a Samsung Galaxy s10, and I'm also bringing a Galaxy s7 Edge. 

7 Answers

  • Rico
    Lv 5
    11 months ago

    The converter is built into the adapter.

    Theoretically you should be able to buy a proper Samsung wall plug in Australia which will mean no need for the adapter.  

  • -
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

    Unless your hotels has USB sockets you'll need to adapter for sure.

  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Look at the power plug for your Phone and read the tiny print. INPUT VOLTAGE. Most of them say 100-240VAC.

    If it says that your ok.

  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    You'll only need a plug adapter for electronic devices like a phone, camera or laptop. If you want to be absolutely positive, just check the devices/chargers and on there it will give you a range of 110V and 250V (or similar).

    You'll only need a power adapter for high powered devices like hair dryers or straighteners and even then, it's worth checking as a few a dual voltage. If you'll be staying in hotels or decent motels, most have a 110V outlet so you probably won't need a power adapter at all.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

    You will only need a plug adapter to fit our power points, the phone charges adapt to the voltage.

  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

    It depends.  You only need an adapter if you're only taking things that charge via USB or have built-in adapters.  The USB charger that comes with most phones and electronics is designed to work with both voltages and will convert either of them.  The same is true of most camera battery chargers.  I spent two weeks in Australia and only used an adapter.  I had an iPhone, a Kindle Fire, a Kindle Paperwhite and a Nikon camera battery charger.  My husband's Samsung charger worked fine as well.

    You only need a converter if you have something that is designed to only work with the US 110 current.  For example, you'll need a converter if you plan to use a hair dryer or curling iron.  

  • 1 year ago

    why don't u just buy one from a gas station when u get there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.