Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

UHaul made unauthorized charge to my debit card. Is this theft?

I had charged $68 Thurs for deposit on friend's truck rental. I did Not give them my pin number, simply charged and took card. Yesterday, I note $280 charge by UHaul. I didn't authorize a dime over that $68, nor did I sign any contract. Will cops help If I call them if manger of UHaul doesn't make good? Or, is it a civil matter?

Yes, I informed my bank it was bogus, and filed complaint. Meanwhile, my card is invalid. Must be an easier way to deal with unauthorized charges.

I entered into no contract, written or verbal. This Is illegal. I made dang sure UHaul understood only that $68 deposit was authorized. She is 35 yo and legally able to enter a legal contrast on her own.

Ok--I went there, I got MY $ back, MY Name was Never on the contract--I looked. In fact, for them, to do any more charges, it must be signed By Me or O'Kd and a witness. Just because corporate sez do it this way and 99% of customers don't dispute it means Nothing.No one explained it To Me nor highlighted the clause. I told the kid; I Only authorize the $68 deposit, No More. he said Nothing Else. This is sneakin' behind -your-back stuff.

Favorite Answer

They do not need your pin number - they had the card details. Did you inform them that your part in the price was the deposit only? Did your friend not pay the balance when he collected the truck? I would ask your friend about it and then contact the manager.

• Anon2 months agoReport

Yes I did. The balance is not my responsibility, she is 35 years old and legally can enter a contract alone.

The cops can't help you because this is a civil matter.

It is obvious that your friend didn't pay the $280.00 he owed above and beyond the deposit, so U-Haul was within their right to charge it to your card.

Your beef is with your friend who now owes you the $280.00.

I had a friend in a similar situation. She let her sister use her debit card to rent a UHaul. The sister was in an accident and in the hospital so she couldn't return the UHaul. My friend was charged every day while her sister was in the hospital. When you rent a UHaul you must read the conditions of what you are renting and what you are agreeing to. You have UHaul the right to charge your card until the UHaul is returned. There is nothing to sue for at all.

" I entered into no contract, written or verbal. This Is illegal. I made dang sure UHaul understood only that $68 deposit was authorized. She is 35 yo and legally able to enter a legal contrast on her own." - But you did when you helped pay for it. I know it doesn't make much sense but that is how it works. You give them permission when you hand over your card.

• Anon2 months agoReport

NO. Not without My Name signed. It Wasnt.

• Maxi

It is a civil matter and if your friend signed and you paid with your debit card then your friend signed for additional changes.... likely damage they did or/and it was left with less fuel or they didn't get it back in time is why and it is your friend you need to get the money from not the truck rental

• Maxi

Oh you are one of these people who "I want someone to agree with me only"... your wrong, you are stupid to use your card and pay for someone else and like it or not you are wrong as they can charge the card which paid

When you see "Rent for 19.99 a day", that doesn't include insurance, topping off the tank if you didn't, over mileage, and cleaning the truck if you didn't clean it. In my experience, you could replace the box part of the truck with a factory new box and they would still say it was dirty.

• Anon2 months agoReport

Doesn't include 19 cents/mile, either. An F150 to my house and back is 40 miles, alone.I Really Need an Experienced answer to these a unauth, charges, thou. I cant be concerned in how she returned truck, if at all.

Not it’s not at all just save up

Call them and ask them what the charge is. My guess is your buddy didn't return the truck on time and didn't refill the gas, etc. When you put your card down, that is the card on file for incidentals like that, they do not need further authorization. You totally misunderstood what you were getting into.

Civil matter.

When you make the initial deposit or payment would Th I haul, the written agreement says they will reconcile the amount due when truck is returned and either charge the balance to the card used or refund anything due back. Obviously your friend did not give them an alternate payment method for the backend transaction so you have to go after him not them.