Donald Chump asked in PetsHorses · 1 month ago

I saw on TV that horses have to be broken before they will let people sit on them. Why can't we just breed them that way?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You can’t breed a horse like that. Their instinct is that something in their back is scary, so every horse has to be trained to trust a human. Some horses are easier to train than others, but all horses will have an initial fear of someone on their back. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The horse has to learn first it is like you being born and suddenly being able to  speak properly. But if you look at how aggressive a zebra is to train compared to a domesticated horse there is a massive difference in their behaviours so horses have been bred to be less aggressive when training (most) than zebras are

• 4 weeks ago

It's instinct, fight or flight, but with a horse born and handled from day one, it can be so easy to start. Most horses are not broken as you would see in the western movies anymore, it's more of a join up, understanding and trust. My horse was so easy, calm and a joy to start.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its called "training".  There is no magic instant trained horse.  That is like saying "why can't human babies talk and be potty trained as soon as they are born.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • patty
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

who knows but that's what they do

• 1 month ago

Horses have more or less been bred to be ridden, although they didn't evolve that way as a species. But even animals that are domesticated must be trained and taught to accept interactions with people.

Lv 7
    1 month ago

The same reason we can't just breed puppies who are fully obedient, or children that come out of the womb with manners, for that matter.

Being ridden by a human is a trained behavior. The horse needs to be desensitized to carrying weight and the feeling of things against their sides, along with being trained to yield to pressure so that they can be controlled by a rider, all before mounting up successfully with the least stress for the horse and least danger to the rider.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It really isn't natural for a horse to be ridden.   They have to be desensitized, gentled and trained.    These things are environmental and have nothing to do with DNA.

Your question is like asking why we don't breed puppies who are born knowing how to sniff bombs/drugs or be seeing eye dogs.   They have to learn just like horses do. 

• zephania666
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I think dogs should be born housebroken.  Kids too, now that I think of it!

• 1 month ago

You can essentially breed them that way. If you work with them in a friendly manner from the time they are born, they grow up trusting humans and will allow you to sit on them. It's all about earning their trust, like with any other animal.

• 1 month ago

bc its funner that way

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.