How to determine a radio wave's frequency from electrical signal?

If I send an electrical signal through an antenna and create radio waves, how do I know the frequency of the wave that's been made? Can I figure it out from the voltage of the electrical signal, or do I need to measure the wave after it's been emitted?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Spectrum analyzer is the only thing I know. Some frequency counters go to VHF frequencies.

Yea, look at the period of the signal with an Oscope and calculate frequency.

• 1 year ago

Use a scope or frequency counter to determine the frequency.

• Zirp
    1 year ago

the frequency of the wave is the frequency of the alternating current.

Voltage is irrelevant

• 1 year ago

You would need to know the carrier frequency before hand. An electrical signal will be modulated before it gets transmitted. When the signal reaches the receivers it get demodulated back to a electrical signal.

Just like a radio station. You will need to know what frequency it uses and then tune the radio to the correct frequency. Otherwise you will get static noise.