I bought the Canon EOS M50.Considering selling it because of how frustrated I am at not being able to take good pictures,can I get help here?

So I bought this camera months ago, stopped using it because of how time consuming it is. It’s just more practical for me to use my phone. For example, today I took pictures at a pumpkin patch with the camera, and when  I uploaded them to facebook, off my computer, they looked so dark. So I saved them from Facebook onto my phone, took down the original post, edited the pictures on my phone so you could actually see our faces, then, reposted them. Does that in any way seem practical?! I get that you have to be careful with how you position the camera, but common, who has hours to be fixing the camera every second in a professional way when they’re out trying to have a good time and just make memories? I feel so disappointed. I also tried to connect the camera to my phone so that all the pictures I take on the camera will automatically upload to my phone but then it wanted me to download an app to make that possible and once I did download the app it didn’t even work. I’m 20 years old I have used technology throughout my life it’s not like I’m an old person who is new to technology, what am I doing wrong? What can I do to make my life easier?

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Freida, it sounds like you are simply expecting the camera to do too much automatically. Opposed to what is seen on tv ads and such, you cannot just put a sophisticated camera in "Auto" and expect great results. Modern cameras are very "smart" and capable, but in some conditions they still require you to have the knowledge to make needed changes and adjustments to get a proper photo. You have experienced first hand why a true pro photographer is something beyond a person just pushing a button.

Frank has given you some good suggestions, perhaps you have not seen his answer yet. People here ARE willing and happy to help someone learn... BUT... it still requires a lot of dedication and effort on your part. Things such as reading and studying the camera owner's manual is the first step. By the way, most cameras now only have a very condensed version of the manual with the camera in print form. You need to download the FULL manual from the CD that came with the camera or from the Canon website. For example, the manual for my Canon 5DSR is 500 pages. Whew... I admit that is overwhelming, but fortunately I have been doing this for something like 20 years now, so I only needed to read parts that were specific to that camera and new to me.

Pull up your camera on YouTube. No doubt there will be plenty of info and helpful tutorials there.

BE PATIENT. You are NOT going to learn it all overnight. PRACTICE with the camera in non important situations. Do things with the camera as shown in the manual. Take non important photos around the house, inside and out. Learn to use the camera properly BEFORE you actually need it. Make your mistakes when the consequences are irrelevant.

Learn the software for adjusting and converting the RAW files... BUT... leave that for later. To begin, shoot with the camera in JPEG. That way the files are already in a usable state, (but will never look as good as they can from a RAW file). Learning the camera AND converting RAW files is too much to do at the start. Use Jpeg. Canon has software with it's cameras that will allow you to convert RAW files, (Digital Photo Professional). You can also work with Jpeg files in that program, you just will not have near as much ability to adjust things such as exposure, white balance, color saturation, and sharpness. As you advance further, you will likely want to upgrade to a better RAW conversion program such as Capture One, which is my favorite.

Your camera is fine, very capable piece, but it is not a magic box. You just have to be wiling and able to put in the effort to learn the skills needed to use it correctly. There is no quick and easy short cut. Nothing worthwhile is ever quick and easy.

Last but not least, if you ever want help, just email me. I have helped out lots of people from this site:

Email: steve@vettepics.com

Website: http://www.lightanon.com/

• 1 year ago

First thing, put the camera in full auto mode and try taking photos again. Plus there are different modes on the M50 for beginners that make the camera do most of the work.

Second thing, your mirrorless/DSLR is ALWAYS going to be more capable than a smartphone. However, this depends on how you handle the camera. You have to take time with it to learn photography further and experiment.

• John P
    1 year ago

If that camera has an "Intelligent Auto" setting, try that. Usually shown as " iA ". Good luck.

• Sumi
    1 year ago

You're finding out first hand that it's not the camera, but what you do with it that matters most. Like I've said a thousand times on this forum, 80-90% of what makes a photo good (much less great) happens outside the camera. Your decisions on composition, focal length, aperture, shutter speed and overall exposure along with whether to use fill-flash or some kind of light modifier such as a reflector, are just some of the essential decisions that one needs to consider and make in order to go from the taking an ordinary snapshot to making a great photograph.

Much of your disappointment comes from you making a bad decision. The bad decision here is an under-exposed image that resulted in people's faces being too dark. You would have seen this in the LCD screen after you took the shot. If you had looked, you would have been able to decide to use a different exposure or use exposure compensation, or maybe just simply turn on your flash to fill in the shadows.

It sounds like you were in a tricky lighting condition that requires a better understanding of the situation than what you had at the time. Taking the same shot on an overcast day would not have yielded the same poor result since the lighting is so soft and evenly distributed without the heavy shadows on people's faces.

You're right. It is unreasonable to expect someone to spend countless hours in front of a computer screen editing (i.e. fixing their mistakes). Instead, you need to use this experience as a learning opportunity and try to figure out what you can differently the next time so that you get better results without having to spend more than a minute or two editing your photos if at all. The answer could have been to move the subjects to a different spot. Maybe turn them around so that they're facing the light. It could be that should have used a flash to fill in the shadows and even out the contrast between their dark faces and the rest of the scene. Fill flash is an incredible tool in these kinds of situations. It's really useful when taking shots where you can't move the subjects to somewhere with better light such as taking photos at a sporting event or graduation.

The painful fact here is that you were in a difficult lighting situation, and had you done something to prevent the faces from being recorded too dark such as increasing the exposure or using fill flash, you would have made (not taken) a better image that could have required very little processing. Considering you were shooting in RAW, all RAW files need some kind of editing since they're the raw data from the camera and as a result they need to be sharpened, along with standard adjustments to their contrast and color. JPEGs are already adjusted in these ways by the camera which is why you feel that a phone would have done a better job.

What you are experiencing is something akin to ordering a prime rib from the butcher and complaining that it's not like the one you always get from your favorite steak house. Of course it won't because the steak from the butcher hasn't been cooked yet. Just like your RAW files, the files have not been "cooked." And as a result, you now need to spend time in front of a computer editing or "cooking" them to the way you like. I suppose I should have started off my long-ish answer with this point. But nonetheless, if you want to spend less time editing, maybe consider shooting JPEGs or RAW+JPEG so at least you'll have an uncooked and cooked version.

• 1 year ago

Speaking as an old person, you have a couple of options

1/ Learn how to use your camera (rtfm)

2/ Start by setting it to automatic

• 1 year ago

It would appear that you lack the patience to learn how to use a real camera. 

That makes me sad. 

No one should expect the camera itself to capture a good --- 

much less great --- image of anything 

without putting some personal effort into it.  

Technically, even a phone camera will take better images 

if it is used by a knowledgeable person. 

I'm nowhere near being a professional photographer; 

like many others, I hack my way along 

and usually end up with something less wonderful than it could have been, 

but I TRY to do things well enough to get respectable results. 

You don't seem to want to even try, 

and that's where I think you are losing the battle. 

What to do from here depends on your attitude: 

Are you going to read the manual for your camera 

to learn the features and how to use them, 

or are you going to give up and be just another point-and-shoot clown? 

If the latter, you might as well sell the camera 

to someone who has a better appreciation of its capabilities.