Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesVolkswagen · 1 month ago

What do you think of the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta? ?

Pls share any good or bad things 

Whats the motor size?

My wife had an '08 VW Rabbit which was a very similar car mechanically. It was rock solid reliability-wise for the 80K miles she had it, no issues whatsoever. The car got totaled when she was hit very hard on the freeway by a drunk driver yet she walked away from the crash without a scratch while the drunk had to be taken away in an ambulance, so I'd say it was pretty solidly engineered from a safety standpoint as well.

The 2.5 5cyl was decently powerful but not especially fuel efficient - that said, its unimpressive fuel efficiency was more due to how short the gearing was than anything else. Newer Golfs and Jettas with the 2.5 got significantly better fuel economy due to taller gearing while using the same engine. I'm not sure what the gearing is like in the '09 Jetta you're looking at, but if it's turning ~3000rpm at 70mph then it's got the shorter gearing, the taller geared cars only turn about 2200-ish rpm at 70mph and because of that they get a lot better highway fuel economy.

The quality of the interior in her Rabbit was actually better than my current daily driver which is a '12 Jetta GLI (my Jetta is a generation newer than the '09 you're looking at, but the interior quality and materials got worse not better with the next generation). If it's in good shape and priced fairly it's probably a decent buy. A lot of the VW maintenance complexity issues that people bemoan aren't necessarily issues on that generation Rabbit/Golf/Jetta because they were pretty "simple" cars mechanically and electronically.

A Golf with a boot. Horrible thing.

Consumer reports:

overall reliability: 3 out of 5

overall customer satisfaction: 2 out of 5

pros in operation / function

- transmission (5 of 5)

- interior fit and finish (5 of 5)

- safety

cons in operation / function

- none below average

Most common trouble spots (needing repairs, not counting normal maintenance)

- drive system

- power equipment

- transmission

- fuel system

- engine (minor)