Hannah asked in HealthMental Health · 1 year ago

Should I quit this job ? ?

I am planning on putting my two weeks notice at work tomorrow morning. I am 19 years old and currently a sophomore in college. I have worked at my current job as a cashier in a seafood restaurant for a year and nine months . It has begun to take a toll on my mental health. I am constantly anxious and depressed when I’m there and considering what I make per hour, it feels as if I’m being made to feel lucky to receive a paycheck. A few months back, I saw a counselor for panic attacks at work and they haven’t subsided even though I try to utilize the coping mechanisms. I work between 24-30 hours a week and that’s too much with my course load and schoolwork. I’m planning to cover/ save the money for my bills for the next two months while I look for a new job , and take a bit of a mental health break. Does it sound like I am right in my decision to leave this job ? 

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, no job is worth suffering for. Work is rarely "fun" but you should never be made to feel lucky to be receiving a paycheck for your hard work. There are better places out there that would be happy to have you as an employee.

1 year ago

If you quit everything in your life that is "stressful" to take a "mental break", you are going to have a very sad life indeed.

• 1 year ago

will you do it for two bands?

1 year ago

thats up to you if you want to leave your job or not

• JetDoc
    1 year ago

Sounds like a REALLY STUPID idea. Don't quit your day job until you have a new job nailed down! You'll never know how long you'll have to wait before that next job comes along.

• Mandy
    1 year ago

There is stress involved in any job. Especially, if you try to do it well. But, a cashiering job should not be so stressful that you need to quit. If it is, how are you going to handle college which would be much more stressful. Especially, if you want to have good grades. If the hours are too much for you to get your coursework done, then quit the job.