how do I convince my mom to let me stay home alone?

I turned 17 last month and i would be home alone for 6 days while she is in New Orleans during my winter break. She's gotten really apprehensive about leaving me however, and is thinking about canceling the trip. How do I convince her that I'm responsible enough to be home alone? I don't want to throw a big party or anything, I just wanna have full time access to the car and be able to have my friends over whenever I want.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think you do. Your mom has probably read or heard the same stories I have, the ones where the parents go away for a couple of days and come home to find the carpet trashed, windows broken, tire gouges in the lawn and missing jewellery and booze. Oh, and the police had to come and break up the party.

Maybe she trusts you, but doesn't trust everyone you can be in contact with. These days, word easily gets out that 'a few people' are getting together somewhere and the parents aren't home. Next thing you know, 150 kids show up, half of them drunk or high. Most of them really don't know whose house it is, and none of them care. No 17 year old can deal with that.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That is what she is worried about, a teen alone means damage to the home and parties! you say you will be "having freinds" over, they tell people, and they tell people, put it on facebook and before you know it there are 200 people in your house!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I would think a 17 year old is old enough to look after herself for 6 days. I would likely have my neighbors keep an eye on the place for any parties and have something like that shut down right away. As others have said, parties have been known to get totally out of control.

• 1 month ago

When I had to leave my 17 year old daughter, I got a couple of college student to spend the nights at our house. She had the house to herself during the day, but someone else was there at night in case something happened. "Having your friend over' is EXACTLY what your mother is worried about! If you get to drinking, and one of them gets in an accident or something, she could be in big trouble.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • KatieC
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I was with you until the last sentence. I think your mom is right.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just tell her you are on birth control and you will use condoms as well as protection against STDs.

• Raoul1 month agoReport

Looks like that didn't go so well for Mom 17 years ago. 

• 1 month ago

How about coming up with some back-up or "emergency" adult supervision.  For example, can you spend the night with a friend?  Can a friend, neighbor, or family member stay with you, or check on you?  Even if you have different people each day, you are making sure someone local and a legal adult is spending time with you and making sure you are okay

Other things that may make your mother feel better about would include you agreeing to frequent texting and enabling a track app so you mom can check on where you are.  

If you are willing to do those things, then you aren't mature enough to say home alone for a week. Sorry.

• 1 month ago

Do you have an older relative, friend or neighbor who can assure your mother that they will keep an eye on you.

• 1 month ago

its not that she dont trust you, it just might not be legal for her to leave you alone that long at your age

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can’t be trusted to stay home alone. You’ll end up having sex. She’s right to stop you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.