Is it a good idea to register as a specific party?

I support some qualities of both parties and i dont think that you should choose one party and stick with it no matter what.

Yes, if you’d like to participate by voting in the primaries. However, the down side of registering w a party is the constant phone calls that can’t be blocked.

• marty

I'm an independent because I liked some of both sides at one time. I'm rather stuck voting Republican now since the Democrats have nobody that I think will do a good job for America. I also don't agree with their stance on illegal immigrants.

The only advantage of 'belonging' to a party is that you can vote in their primaries.  In other countries, most people don't belong to a party, because to belong you need to pay dues and attend meetings.  Here  you 'belong' to a party simply by stating it on your voter registration.

I count myself as independent.  Actually I'm registered as Green Party because a guy with a clipboard came up to me on the street and told me the Greens needed a certain number of registered voters to get a candidate on the ballot.  So I helped him out.