not sure what to do after high school?

I'm a senior in high school and I'm really worried about life after high school. I do however, have an idea of what I might want to do, which is become a freelance Illustrator. The only problem is, being a freelance illustrator, would take lots of promotion and getting myself and art out there, and I don't find it that reliable either. I've decided that college (art school) isn't an option for me, or the path I would like to take, only because It's too expensive and with the internet now and days, it's pretty easy to learn the fundamentals myself. But right now, I'm kind of second guessing going straight to being a freelance artist only because it isn't guaranteed. I want something that's solid and reliable, something that I'm sure will pay the rent whenever i plan to move out. I'm often pushed to go to college and get a degree in something else. but It seems I only have a passion for art and nothing else. and again, I find it very pointless to get an art degree. I'm not sure if posting this will do anything at all, but I would hope for a little advice. thanks

Having the desire isn't enough.   You also need talent, creds, and a portfolio.

Are you sure sure you have the talent?  Seriously, I'm not saying that to be mean.

And as for creds, most illustrators have a bachelor's or master's degree in "fine arts."

Talk to your school's art teacher or, if there isn't one, at least talk to a counselor.

Anything worth doing is not easy. It sounds to me like you want easy. If getting what you want to do was easy then countless people before you would have already done it. Go to school and work hard or find something else to do.

suggest that you talk to a college counselor and find out how best you could use your passion.

maybe you should talk to a counselor at your school about it

start building your portfolio now and take some classes at a community college or trade school in your interest while getting a job at a magazine or publishing company

Whatever you want to be in life takes hard work and education. If you really want to be a freelance illustrator, you have to push and work hard for it. That includes going to some sort of institution or college. You can’t just pop up and be a freelance illustrator. You can try to do online colleges as well, but no matter what you decide to be, there is a requirement for it. I suggest you start off small first. Maybe taking a year off from school and work until you can figure out what you want to really be and how you will do it.