Troy asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

Car speakers 2019 Honda Civic Sport?

I just installed 2 aftermarket alpine 6.5” speakers in my front doors. The problem I am having is that the audio was playing fine but at one point just killed all sound in the car. All the OEM speakers stopped as well. I cannot for the life of me figure out why. When I pulled the door apart and checked the connections they worked but when I put the door back on everything was dead again. It will crackle and play every now and then but i don’t know why they don’t just work. Are they defective?

• KaeZoo

Are you using spacers/adapters to attach the new speakers? If not, what's probably happening is that the tinsel leads on the speakers are touching metal and shorting out the head unit. I've seen this in other Civics when people try to install new speakers without using a spacer. Look for Metra 82-7805.

• KaeZoo
      1 month agoReport

One of the speaker wires is shorted somewhere. If you have a short on one speaker wire, it will kill sound to the others because the head unit's built-in amplifier shuts down.

• A speaker does NOT become defective, it can only become damaged.

What are you using to wire the speakers? You should be using a high-quality 16 gauge OFC speaker wiring. Not a shorted wire you found out on the street if that's what you're using.

What impedance are the speakers wired to? They should be at 4 ohms matching the head unit's output or whatever the speakers are being powered by.

• don r

Seems that the wires going to the speakers may be shorted where they go through bulkheads- or the plugs on the stereo are loose.

maybe you can get a mechanic to help you with it

• Dze

sounds like theyre getting shorted to me ...