What happens if i don't change my brake fluid for my bmw? ?

I don't ever remember changing my brake fluid for any car that i owned, but my bmw keeps on mentioning it on screen when i startup the car.

The car is bmw 316i 2016 

Favorite Answer

It's an arbitrary figure programmed into the car's computer. I very much doubt it's necessary on a three year old car. My car is 17 years old and the brakes work very well on the original fluid. Only if you get a spongy pedal or reduced braking should you bother to have the fluid changed. Unless you are worried and have cash to dispose of I wouldn't do it.

• Jean2 months agoReport

The dealer keeps on mentioning it when i go to change regular engine oil/filter

Ask the dealer, or mechanic, how much it will cost. If it's not prohibitive get it done. Alternatively YouTube it. it may be quite simple. I have changed plenty of brake fluid, but never a BMW car. (My avatar refers to my K75s motorcycle)

Manufacturers these days recommend that you change brake fluid every two or three years. That's because its hygroscopic and takes in water, which can cause serious problems when braking. Looks like BMW have built a reminder into their nagging system.

They'd rather you change it before problems arise. It's too late if you overlook it for too long and find you can't stop! You may get away with it for years, but one day . . .

It's a recommended service that almost no one performs unless they have symptoms like spongy brake pedal.

Any good shop could do it - but maybe cost you $100.

BMW, of course, wants you to return to their dealership and lay out maybe $1000.