Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

Why do so many great musicians hail from England or the United Kingdom?

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Elton John, David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Jethro Tull, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Van Morrison, U2, the Police, Fleetwood Mac, Yes, Def Leppard, Billy Idol, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, Jimi Hendrix Experience, AC/DC (most members were born in Britain like Brian Johnson), The Animals, the Kinks, Duran Duran, Dire Straits, Motörhead, Sex Pistols, Clash, Bee Gees, Foghat, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Elvis Costello, ELO, Judas Priest, the Moody Blues, Oasis, Radiohead, the Outfield.  How is that possible to have all those musicians from the United Kingdom, most notably England?

• martin
    Favorite Answer

Americans love the British accent. It makes it so they can tell the lyrics of a song. Also, with an extra thousand years of culture, England has some advantages in the fine art of music.

• Lili

Ludicrous. The question concerns great music, not discerning lyrics. And Americans have no difficulty with the lyrics of songs in American English. Many British accents are not at all clear. As for musical skills, music is a universal art that doesn't require centuries of development.

Yellow my people and friend

I think it's because their music industry moguls didn't have the control & pre-conceived notions that those in America have.. That allowed more musicians to be more creative.

Because The Musicians Were Talented!

You forgot Tom Jones, Cliff Richards, Jeff Beck, The Yardbirds, The Pretenders, The Hollies, Uriah Heep, Yes, Humble Pie, Fairport Convention, Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, Peter Frampton, Cream, Kate Bush, and the Kinks, to name but a few.

We do not know why, but it may be because music was one way to climb up the socio-economic ladder.

• Nick

The author mentions Yes, Rod Stewart and the Kinks

Every single one of those bands/artists were influenced by the United States, direct or indirectly, one way or another. You say the Beatles, I say The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly & Crickets, etc and a dozen others. Too many to name. You say Rolling Stones, I say blues and/ R&B from America. Again, too many people influenced them. You say Black Sabbath & Led Zeppelin, I say Blue Cheer, Steppenwolf, MC5 and numerous others that flirted with being heavy BEFORE those two bands. You say Deep Purple, I say Rip offs, and Ritchie Blackmore is on record admitting his thievery. He even stole a riff from Ricky Nelson LOL. You say Jimi Hendrix Experience, well as talented as the bass and drummer were, that was all Jimi and he most certainly wasn't from the UK. Thin Lizzy had an American guitarist (Scott Gorham) and the Police had an American drummer (Stewart Copeland). You say Clash and Pistols, I say Iggy and Ramones. Both had an influence on those two.

You get the idea!

• Nick

Hendrix would never have had a career if it wasn’t for London. He considered it to be his home.

Something to do with having no teeth that makes the voice sound better. It’s as pure as it can get without any interference from the teeth. The teeth acts as a barrier and so distorts the sound.

They’re not. Music is just a matter of taste. They just get more attention.

• Nick

I guess so. Still there’s a lot of UK musicians