Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 4 months ago

Is it possible to remain  emotionally close without physical intimacy in your relationship? ?

I feel myself slipping away from the person I love emotionally and I'm trying very hard to hang on to that love I once felt before. It's hasn’t been easy holding onto that. I'm afraid my love will turn into the kind of love I have for my family and friends. How can a relationship grow stronger without physical intimacy and romance? How do you prevent yourself from loving them more as friend rather than loving them romantically? 

Favorite Answer

"Is it possible to remain emotionally close without physical intimacy in your relationship?" Depends on why there is no physical intimacy. Is it that you don't desire it or is there a physical reason why it can't happen?

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and had his testicles removed. Of course my parents still love each other and I suspect they still share physical intimacy even if not the same way as before.

"How do you prevent yourself from loving them more as friend rather than loving them romantically?" You can't. You can control your behavior, but you can't force love or desire.

It sounds to me like this relationship has run it's course.