Sailors! Please help me understand this?

Ahoy my dear Sailors, could you please help me understand the following sentence? (It's an excerpt from a book)

"Quartermaster First Class Manuel Oreza stepped from one gun'1 to the other one with practiced ease."

What is going on here? What does it mean that he stepped from one 'gun'1' to the other one with practiced ease? Wth is a gun'1 ??

Okay so to provide you with a little bit of background info to understand the context, Oreza's boat pulls over next to another boat. I think he gets onboard the other boat, but what is meant by gun'1??

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

They're both 40ft motor yachts based in the 60's

Favorite Answer

Gun’l is an abbreviation of gunwale, which is the upper part of the sides of a ship above the deck level.

You might also see “fo’c’sle” or “fo’c’s’le”, both pronounced approximately as “foxall” which are verbal abbreviations for the forecastle: the raised structure above the main deck and in front of the foremast on the front (bow) of some ships. A similar structure at the rear (stern) of a ship has the poop deck on top, from the French “la poupe”, meaning stern deck. Contrary to some silly old tales, poop deck has nothing to do with why 💩 is called poop. That comes from an old Saxon word “pappe” meaning “soft”. Exactly the same word, “pappy” has almost the same meaning in modern English, and puppy dog has the same origin “soft dog”. And a mild perjorative word in English, “poppycock” literally means “soft shít” (pappe kak).

You might also see “bosun”, another abbreviation meaning “boatswain”. And the phrase “shiver me timbers” refers to lumber cracks (shivers) which weaken wood.

just means he stepped from one side of boat to the other ..the gunnel /runs around the ring deck tops ..couldnt have been a very big boat if he could step from one side to the other

probably a misprint.

Sounds like they need to walk the plank

Sailors are gay men