Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Is the canadian accent noticeably different to an American accent?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

Just "abooot" noticable..

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes. Though Americans don't seem to notice it... I certainly can. It's especially noticeable with black Canadians versus black Americans.

• Well...

yes and no.

What you have is

#1 - many American accents (and many Canadian accents)

#2 - a gradual change in accent as one approaches the Canadian border

Basically: Americans living near a particular spot on the Canadian border have a (nearly?)-identical accent to Canadians living near that same spot.

The farther you get from a particular spot on the border (in any direction)

the more different the accent becomes.

You get more marked differences on the East coast

where there are VERY many different American accents with VERY noticeable differences over a very short range

and I suspect that the same is true of the Canadian East coast. (I know there are some very distinctive accents there, but I don't know how many).

• 3 weeks ago

yea, they keep saying aye, or aboot, or sorey

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

I can't tell.  We have a lot of Canadian actors in America.  Not until I'm told that they were originally from Canada do I have a clue that they are not from the USA.

• 3 weeks ago

Good-day, eh?

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I'm from neither of those countries but would say they are difficult to tell apart. I think there is a slight difference that certain people could pick up if they've become accustomed to different accents. Like, when I backpacked around Europe, almost everyone I met had a different accent. After a while, I could tell what country they were from and could occasionally tell if someone was from Canada rather than the US.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

No, it's different FROM an American accent.

• EddieJ
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

There are lots of different American accents. Brooklyn is different from Texas, for example.

You'll hear French accents in Quebec.

• 3 weeks ago

I can’t tell at all...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.