Denise Mata asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Can't figure out what is wrong with my dog after being spayed?

My dog was spayed last friday and since Sunday has been panting and shivering. She doesnt stay still, shes been whining, she doesnt sleep. I took her to the vet Monday night and bloodwork came out fine; no infection, kidneys are ok, no fever. This morning i took her to the vet again and no fever. The vet isnt too sure what could be causing the hyperactiveness so i left her overnight for observation. Help! i dont know what else to do to help her. Has this ever happened to any other dog? my baby has always been a calm doggy and now shes total opposite.

You and the vet are right to keep on this. I have taken in lots of post spay ops for rescue (about 30) and I've only ever known a bit of shaking / pain / stress for the first 24 / 48 hours.

She is showing signs of considerable discomfort for sure and something isn't right. I think I'd be asking for x-rays or scans to see if they can locate anything going on inside like broken stitching and hernia etc. Have they also considered the possibility of an allergic reaction to the stitching, especially the internal stitching.

Sincerely hope they find the answer and quick. I know how I would feel in your situation.

I had one of mine, terminal cancer, switched from Metacam to Tram. because she had a tummy upset (it was a bug she'd picked up as a day later, her brother was doing the same thing). It so freaked her out (the Tramadol) that she came off that fast, and back onto Metacam. Many vets don't give back up pain relief post spaying, and they should!

Of course there could be another problem, but shaking/shivering and panting is an indication of pain - she may just be one who acts up re pain, more than others. As said, she's in the right place if something else is wrong.

• Maxi

If the shivering and shaking is accompanied by excessive panting, this is usually a sign of stress, and more intense pain or discomfort...why? Don't know however she is in the best place for them to find out

Probably the pain was not under control and/or there was a reaction to the antibiotic.

Did the vet prescribe Tramadol? That can sometimes make them very disturbed.

Hopefully the vet put her on a drip overnight.

• Lorraine
      4 weeks agoReport

I agree to get her off the meds as she could be reacting to one of them.

it is dead maybe you need another one

• Anna
      4 weeks agoReport

It's moving and panting . A dead dog doesn't move.