What should I use as an attention getter in a speech?

I'm doing an informative speech about the health care system in Canada for a communications class. I don't know how to get the attention of a captive audience and keep the speech informative instead of persuasive.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Maybe you should quote statistics, like the number of people who receive health care services in Canada.

• 4 weeks ago

Be energetic, confident, and friendly. This is the best way to keep the audience engaged, no matter what type of speech it is. Try asking trivia questions to keep the audience engaged, for example "do any of you know how much the total Government spending on health care was in 2018?", give them a chance to answer, and then give them the correct answer.

You can also bring up fun facts about the health care system, and mention some benefits that are actually useful and relevant to your audience. For example, assuming that your communcations class is your audience, then provide information about the medical benefits that students may receive. The audience will be more interested when the information can actually apply to them.

Remember that no matter what you are speaking about, the audience will be interested if you give them a reason to be. So be friendly, energetic, ask questions, and tell them information that could potentially interest them.

• 4 weeks ago

TAXES !! ...........

Source(s): accountant
  • 4 weeks ago

Contrast it to the elements of your neighbor to the South. Cost as a share of GNP, World Health Organization ranking, number of health cost related bankruptcies, drug cost comparisons, fetal deaths and access statistics. Start the thing with a Donald Trump quote that America has the greatest healthcare in the world.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Random explosions usually get people's attention.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Use a question and answer format. Ask a question, and get the audience to spitball answers. Then, “Would it surprise you to know that...?

In this way, you can get them to participate, and then INFORM them with the correct answers. Depending on how involved you want to be, you could divide them into teams, and make it a competition... with candy as the prize.

• 4 weeks ago

give them candy

• 4 weeks ago

Start your speech like this "Today I am going to talk about big hairy testicles..." and then you could use testicular cancer as the center piece example of your speech about the health care system. And if you want to keep people interested, every time you bring up testicular cancer mention "big hairy testicles." This will surely get some people laughing and also keep their attention.

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Anything you absolutely want the audience to hear, you say two or three times in a row, you say two or three times in a row. You. Say. Two. Or. Three. Times. In. A. Row.

• al
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Start with "every body put your hands up or I'll shoot".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.