If you have travelled widely, where in the World have you felt such a foreigner, even out of place to the people there?

• rick
    Best Answer

The worst such place was the bible belt in the USA's south. The undercurrent of racial hatred, and overpowering illiteracy, coupled with rabid religious fervor was unworldly. As a tolerant, educated, person I was made to feel unwelcome at every minute.

Source(s): Survived 7 years in Ft. Mill SC

well as an East Asian person, I felt like a foreigner and out of place in many parts of Europe

I visited many European countries and felt weird being one of the few asians there.

but most of the natives were actually very curious to know me since east asians are a rarity in those countries

People are like people everywhere else, even if you can't understand their speech or writing. Some places are more welcoming than others, but that's mainly due to the government (or lack thereof) rather than the people, themselves. For me, the sense of other-worldliness is probably highest in either Timbuktu or Texas.

I have travelled widely, can't say I have really felt so out of place anywhere,

but then I do live in a cosmopolitan city and am often an ethnic minority in some parts of that.