Can I claim UK citizenship given these circumstances?

I always wanted to be dual US-UK. I was born at a RAF station in Suffolk, UK to American parents serving there, in 1989, I'm only American and I'd wish to know whether or not I can claim British citizenship. 

Favorite Answer

You have zero claim to British citizenship. We do not give random foreigners Great British citizenship. Your parents would have needed to hold ILR which, as US airforce personnel, they did not.

There is also no such thing as dual citizenship. Think about it, have you ever seen a dual passport? Each citizenship is entirely separate and you can have as many as you are entitled to as long as all the countries concerned allow you to hold more than one (not all do).

Nope - you have absolutely no claim to British citizenship. You're just American.

The UK ceased offering birthright citizenship in 1983. Since then at least one parent of the child must be either a British citizen or in the UK on "indefinite leave to remain" status.

• Maxi

No, you are just an American citizen born to American service people while they were deployed in the UK...

NO way whatsoever! By treaty, those born to American military personnel born at bases overseas have NO right to citizenship in the country where the parents were based. Your parents were US citizens, thus you have US citizenship by birth to US citizens. Nothing else.

• J
  • Mrsjvb

No you may not.