can using a USB hub to transfer stuff from one external hard drive to another fry my Surface Pro?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

a usb hub requires POWER that power must come from its own external supply. you cannot keep adding extra devices without connecting a power supply to it otherwise that might melt whatever pc/tablet it is plugged into.

• 2 months ago

A computer would have to be present to transfer the data between drives.

You could hook both drives to a usb hub and then hook the hub up go the surface pro which through that computer you would have to manually transfer the files

• 2 months ago

No,,I do that all the time.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

..............I don't think so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • stan l
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

AYRTFS?????????????????

• VP
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Are you asking BEFORE you try it?

Or, did something happen and you're trying to find the culprit?

• 2 months ago

Not if it is a powered hub (or the drives themselves are individually powered).

Trying to run two USB powered hard drives through an unpowered hub is likely to overload the PC / tablet USB port - though that's supposed to be allowed for with USB sockets and it should work normally again once the overload is removed.

• 2 months ago

Since your Surface Pro is not supplying power to the external HDDs you shouldn't see any problems.

• 2 months ago

No. In fifteen characters.

• 2 months ago

No. Your Surface Pro should be unaffected by this perfectly normal operation of transferring data via USB ports.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.