Did your ancestor made a good decision by leaving their birth country?

If they did not, you will be there today

It's a really hard question to answer, but I guess migration is a sign of progress and improvement, so overall yes.

• In

My maternal grandparents fled post war Greece after the Nazi occupation. My paternal grandfather came over in the late 1920's before the stock market crash and was fairly successful. He sent for my grandmother from his village in Greece in an arranged marriage.

Yeah they probably would have all been wiped out in the holocaust otherwise.

They didn't leave their original country and I'm proud of their decision 

• Stan

Good heavens ⁅ʜᴀᴢʏ⁆ Anglo Saxon Anglo-Scandinavian Anglo-Norman, I'm a bit of a mixture really. I have no idea, they must have left for some reason.

From Saxony to England

I don't think more than a quarter of Americans have all four grandparents born here.  For the rest, ALL those people made a good decision to move to the US.  It's hard to imagine any of their lives were worse here than wherever they came from.

My mom's parents might be the exception.  They came here after being thrown out of their native country for being the wrong religion.  They also did much better here, plus I got to be born here, not in the USSR.

• ⁅ʜᴀᴢʏ⁆
      4 weeks agoReport

The norm is the wife follow the husband or live with the husband's family so mostly it would be about the paternal side birth place

• Dj2541

My Fathers Parents made great decisions to Leave Ireland, being Glasgow Irish, and move the whole Clan to Australia. Leaving the potential Religious confrontations behind, and coming to the true land of the free!!!!

I don't know if I should answer your question being as though there are a lot of people who go annon and call out users and you might be one of them too. My ancestors didn't have a choice. Yeah, it's a good choice that I am here but the countries circumstances and rules are nothing to get excited about. Travel is hard, paying for anything is hard, living is hard and if that wasn't bad enough there are racist here. There wasn't supposed to be. Anyone I have interest in are in the country that I can't go to or they might have left. so not so much for me.

• Evan4 weeks agoReport

You wouldn't understand anyway unless you were my current boyfriend.

Yes, my grandfather and grandmother fled the USSR to another country when Stalin was in power and just before WWII.

• Penguin Lover
      3 weeks agoReport

He would jail everyone smart anyway... Kandinsky also fled to Germany, and there he was allowed to express his true genius.