People have done horrific things to you, do you put it all in your book??

Best Answer

Why? Taking them to a witch doctor??!!

If I did that then the book would just keep going on forever

Some say yes, some say no. Why do you need other people's opinion as to what you should do? I suggest you take your time and give it serious thought and then make your own decision.

No, why should I? As an adult I deal with my issues.

• Marli

Yes, if that book is your journal and not your novel. Write all the details there, including your feelings. It will be a resource when you want to use it in the novel.

If the book is your novel, you can be selective about what you put in. Your character should have his or her own hurts, rather than act as your spokesperson for your pain. Give the character what you feel, of course: the pain, the feeling of betrayal, the desire for vengeance. Use the situation too if it furthers the story. But you can adjust the volume of the howls. You can make the situation work for your character, or have him/her do something different, or make it worse.

• Sharon

no, I just cast them as something unpleasant. like queen of a planet of cannibals

• humpty

Is it fiction or nonfiction? What do you want to do with the book?

The great historian Barbara Tuchman had a sign above her typewriter that said "WILL THE READER TURN THE PAGE?" No writer should forget that the reader is their partner in art, and not their therapist. Tell enough truth to sell the story, but do not burden the reader with nonessential detail.

Besides, the best way to deal with people who have done horrific things to you is outlive them, or better yet to be more successful than they are. Send them an autographed copy when you publish.

No, I report it to the police if it's truly horrific.

• Logan

You can, it's up to you. It's also up to you how you write it. You can make your character or characters go through the same stuff as you or you can write a biography.

You could do. Don't rush it though. Make sure you make the points you're trying to make as powerfully as you possibly can.

No, but I seek revenge, if I ever see them.