Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 3 weeks ago

Are nuclear power plants worth it? Is cheaper energy really worth the eventuality that one of them will eventually go Chernobyl on us?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

The last nuclear plant we built here in California, first it went for like 300% cost overruns--billions in cost overruns.  Then it turned out they used the wrong blueprints, just reversing one wing to build the other one.  Then they refused to do a seismic survey BEFORE, but they did one AFTERWARDS that showed it was sitting directly on an earthquake fault.  It cost us 3 or 4 billion dollars, paid for by the ratepayers, and it never even opened.

American corporations tend to see regulations and safety rules as totally optional, as -suggestions-.  I admired Japan. They follow rules slavishly.  They're geniuses in earthquake proofing.  THEY could build a nuke plant that would work and last and return full value!  Well, that's what I thought.  But even the Japanese couldn't anticipate all possible conditions.

If the Japanese can't build a safe nuclear plant, then I say it can't be built safely.

• Chris3 weeks agoReport

How many people died from nuclear radiation in Japan in the last 10 years?

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No

And they won't even make energy cheaper. recent studies have shown they will never be cost-effective

We better switch off a lot of appliances that we don't need

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

IMO, no. We need to reduce waste and increase efficiency, not turn to toxic sources of power.

• 3 weeks ago

The trouble with this waste is there is no safe way to dispose of it. All they can do is store it and as has already happened storing it can and does go wrong and accidents will only become more serious as time passes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Probably Not in the U.S., But other places make them work and get return on Investment. Like France 4 Example..

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

No, there are safer and cheaper ways to generate steam and spin a turbine.

And make no mistake about it....nuclear reactors do nothing but heat water, they are glorified steam engines.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.