When are kids too old to trick or treat?

Should I let my pre teen son and daughter trick or treat or make them stay home? They are in middle school. Is this to old and they should grow up or have fun?

Don't be dumb middle school is obviously fine. High school is too.

• Dr. D

There are no hard set rules. However when kids enter their teens they usually want to think they're growing up. They become more interested in the opposite gender, and want to develop their social skills. Teens should be encouraged to have Halloween parties. They can still have costumes and get treats, just in a more grown up setting. 

I live in a college town and we get college students Trick or Treating. You can even go Trick or Treating down the road that has all of the frat homes and dormitories and people of all ages even adults are Trick or Treating. You are never too old to get free candy.

• Daisy

When I was a kid in the 60s-- we were out Trick-or-Treating until we were in the 7th or 8th grade.

I stayed home when I was 13 and passed out the candy. We give out a lot of candy where I live. A house nearby is decorated for Halloween (it looks like a haunted house). Kids are dropped off by the van loads. Many are grade school and middle schoolers. Some are in high school. I would like to give out my candy to the little kids, but I won't turn anyone away. Candy is getting very expensive. 10 years ago, we bought bags of fun size candy bars for $1.99 a bag. Now, the same bag- with few pieces of candy- and they're smaller costs between $2.99 and $3.25.

I did it throughout middle school and stopped in high school. I think in middle school, kids are too old for many things (such as Santa and playing on playgrounds) and too young for others (such as certain school clubs- I went to a combo middle and high school). When I was in school, 6th grade was in elementary school and middle school was grades 7 and 8. I had that impression and I felt like trick or treating was an escape from that. Then in high school, I felt like there were more things I was allowed to do (and much more responsibility) so it was time for me to stay home and take care of those responsibilities on Halloween night. I think a lot of people might think the same thing.

'Too old' is really a regional/neighborhood thing. Assuming your kids regularly interact with other kids around their age, THEY will know when (if) they get too old.

Caveat - older kids that trick-or-treat need to put SOME effort into a costume if they expect candy. A pumpkin T-shirt doesn't cut it. Kids who cop out get refused -- or tricked.

If you're worried about how it looks, have them offer to take a younger kid so the parents don't have to.

• Sally

thirteen years of age

Source(s): Donald Trump
  • Have fun!!! They’re not too old at all! Let them enjoy themselves it gets creepy when they hit 24!! Up until then hollkween should be enjoyed :) there still in middle school for gods sake

• PAMELA

Leave them alone, they will not want to do it in a couple of years anyway, but make sure that they stay together while doing it.

I trick or treated until I was a freshman in college, a pre teen looks pretty normal. Even adults don't look out of place if you're with friends.

I say let them trick or treat until they don't feel like it anymore.