Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Someone verbally plagiarised me in a meeting yesterday and got so much praise she started to cry.. I let her have her moment but I felt?

rubbish - glad that my words finally got heard but sad that when I said them I might as well not have - nobody even seems to remember or to have truly heard or listened. 

I feel like when I say something it’s just too easy to dismiss me but when someone else says it’s suddenly “powerful” that hurts.. but I know if I bring it up at the next meeting I will seem petty or jealous. It was a formal ish group meeting and I feel like I don’t want to talk again when I’m there if people aren’t even listening. What should I do?

Best Answer

Quit spilling out your ideas, see how they suffer.

Theyre incapable of coming up with something of substance on their own, so let them learn the lesson of paying credit where credit is due. When people realize that little ms thief cant sustain the same results and she cant spew out anymore ideas all of a sudden, then they will know the truth. It came from you all along. Youre not just their inspiration you are their brains of their entire operation. So let them figure something out. And hopefully they will figure out that they needed you. You dont hijack peoples ideas, thats beyond f-ckeddd. Now next time when all you hear is crickets you jump in and spew out all of those genius ideas of yours trapped in that little mind full of ingenuity. F-ck these little plagiarizing bitchhhes.

I know it might seem a little nefarious but these bitchhhes dont deserve any respect, and they sure as hell havent earned any.

• Edna

No one could "verbally plagiarize" you in a meeting.

Plagiarism is the "wrongful appropriation" and "stealing and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions" and the representation of them as one's own original work. It does not involve spoken words. Plagiarism is considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics. It is subject to sanctions such as penalties, suspension, expulsion from school or work, substantial fines and even incarceration.

• Edna
      2 weeks agoReport

Marnie:  Plagiarism" involves only the written work and/or published work of an author; it doesn't involve the spoken word.. No such thing as "oral plagiarism"..The closest you could come to that would be slander, which is verbal communication that defames another person. Look it up. .

• Jerry

As woman in a male dominated field, I often dealt with my ideas somehow getting little notice from my male colleagues until one of the men presented those ideas as his own. I had to be alert to "thank" the gentlemen for "giving his support to MY idea." Do this a few times and people become more cautious about stealing your ideas.

maybe you should tell your manager about it

If you truly feel your contributions are being dismissed or diminished, have a private conversation with your Manager and express your concerns.

• Ana

You absolutely should bring it up, and you should explain that YOU were the one that said that, YOU had that idea (and you’ve had many other ideas in the past that for some bizarre reason others get credit for), and say that YOU should get the praise, and explain to your work that if they aren’t going to recognize when you do something good, what’s the point of you being there and not going to a competitor that WILL respect your talent?

• Marnie
      4 weeks agoReport

thank you, it was not a work meeting.

• Steve

petty, jealous? this is a situation where you can state the facts as they are imho.

• Marnie
      4 weeks agoReport

thank you. the topic of the meeting is very sensitive, that's why I have to be careful not to embarrass anyone.. but also what if everyone really dot not even remember that I said it.. bringing it up could make me look like a liar or crazy