Does my roommate have to right to tell me I’m not allowed to ever have guests spend the night?

I live in a dorm and recently got a random roommate in the middle of the semester. This dorm allows you to have guest spend the night any day of the week as long as they sign in. My new roommate told me I’m not allowed to have my boyfriend spend the night, ever. I’m not willing to compromise and not have my boyfriend spend the night because I should be allowed that privilege. It’s not like he would be over all the time, maybe one or twice a week and I would let her know ahead of time if he was going to. It’s either never having him spend the night or someone moves out, there will be no more compromise on the topic. Is it reasonable or her to tell me I’m not allowed to have him spend the night ever? If she’s the one that has a problem with it should she be the one to find a different roommate or should I be the one to move out? *Side note I had the room all to my self before this*

Best Answer

You're room-mate has zero rights to tell you if you can/can't have a guest stay over, she doesn't make the rules! Your residency allows for guests to sleepover, so as long as your boyfriend signs in, if that happens then your room-mate can have an opinion, but she doesn't get a vote.

• R L

As long as the rules ok it....the hell with your roommate

if u re sharing one and the same room I think her demand is justified. how u re allowed to have overnight visitors with a room mate is beyond me

The only issue I can think of is if the bf is obese and taking up some of your roommates side of the dorm. But if hes not doing that, then why should she care anyways? Does she not have a bf?

• Haha he’s not obese he wouldn’t ever use any of her property, bed, etc. He would only come over around 9 or 10. Watch a movie/ do homework with me and then we would go to sleep. She does not have a boyfriend nor has ever had boyfriend in the past