Owl Symbolism, What Does This Encounter Mean?

I went outside this evening, turned on the porch light, had a show playing on my phone, sat down to smoke a cigarette and looked over to my right to see an owl that stood about 5 inches tall. He wasn't startled, just looking around. I wanted to make sure he wasn't hurt, afraid that he had run into the glass door, so I gently approached him and stroked him with a finger. I put my hand underneath his feet where he perched on my finger and then flew out into the night. What does this mean?

I think the dream means that even if somebody appears like they need your help - you might have to detach and let them solve their own issue and that just because you care does not mean its appropriate for you to intervene because people don't always appreciate good intentions when they don't like your actions

Owls are a symbol of unconscious and they are usually considered to be the messengers of secrets. Owls are known for their keen vision, so in many cases they may symbolize your awareness, inner wisdom and intuition. Sometimes they symbolize your hidden emotions as well.

Hmmm....it represents something flying away. Your dreams perhaps?