Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Do you think it's rude to ignore the concerns of someone who will not compromise?

My mother wants to have a party for my baby brother's sixteenth birthday, and she expects quite a turn out.  Town ordinances say you're fine having a lot of cars and noise up until 10 pm, but you must inform neighbors of potential disturbances.

Mom's neighbors next door are a miserable couple who seem to think mom was asking them permission rather than serving notice.  They keep badgering her about how disruptive this will be for them, and keep saying they'll call the cops anyway, and want her to have the party somewhere else.

My mom's upset because she's a nice person, but I think she should ignore them.  The rest of her neighbors are fine, with some now even attending the party themselves.  Mom's yard is very large and there's just no reason to spend money on renting a space just because these people enjoy being the pricks of the neighborhood.

Am I wrong?  What do you think?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Your mom should just have the party at her home and stay within all the local noise and time ordinances. If the neighbors call the police the cops will show up and tell them no crime is being committed.

• Jerry
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

If these people call the police frivolously, the police are going to straighten them out. Just give your party and if these people get mad they can either get over it or die mad.

• 3 weeks ago

I don't know why your mother is still having this conversation. She's done what she's obliged to, and it's up to the neighbours how they react.

Of course you should all make an effort to keep the noise down after 10.

• 3 weeks ago

Tell the neighbours they better not complain or next time you will invite ethnic people !!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Chanel
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Your mom did the right thing by informing them you were having a party and if it is not a regular event then they should not have a problem with it.

It is after 11pm that it is treated as a disturbance.

• 3 weeks ago

as long as noone is doing anything illegal i wouldnt worry about it

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Ignore the neighbors. As long as she knows the town ordinance and sticks to it she will be fine.

She should tell the neighbors she is following their town ordinance and not to worry the party will be under control. If they have any questions they can go to the town hall for Information on their town ordinances.

• 3 weeks ago

Your Mom has shown courtesy by advising the neighbors of the party and she is not responsible for how somebody chooses to respond to her doing so. Some people like to complain and some people simply do not like when their regular routine is interrupted. Go ahead and enjoy the festivities and if the police are called, you and/or your Mom can have a conversation with them if necessary.

• 3 weeks ago

Invite the mean neighbors to the party.

Make sure to wind the festivities down before ten pm.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

nothing wrong in doing whatshe is doing. Maybe she should advise the police of what she has done and that they can expect a call from the neighbor as she is just an disagreeable person

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.