Do children who overstay their visas get green cards(no fault on their own)?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Best Answer

No. They are not eligible for DACA, either. They must return to their country of citizenship. IF they return home before turning 18, they will not be penalized for their parents actions.

IF they do not return home before turning 18, then they are choosing as adults to remain illegally. Thus they are subject to arrest, detention, deportation, & bar to reentry. As of your 18th birthday, it is no longer a matter of "my parents did this to me" but your own adult choice to violate the law. So it is on you own head from the day you turn 18. Adult choices have adult consequences. No more blaming bad parents - it's bad you!

• RICK
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Nope

And unlike those brought here by parents illegally they are not eligible for DACA

• 3 weeks ago

No; overstaying a visa doesn't qualify you for a green card, irrelevant of age.

• 3 weeks ago

In the UK we have long stay rules which would allow a child to remain. But this would be a problem in the US because giving citizenship to the children of illegals would feed the frenzied left wingers who would be on their hind legs screaming about 'US citizen children being abandoned' in the event their parents were deported. I'm not sure that I understand why.

I lived overseas with my parents for the first 10 years of my childhood and had absolutely no problem going back to my country of origin. In fact, I was delighted to do so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No. That does not qualify anyone for a green card.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No......................

• Poppy
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Used to, not anymore thanks to Trump taking away DACA/DREAMers

• even though the stated intention was that it was enacted to allow them to complete their education.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Of course not. The only concept that allows for something like that is the anchor baby law, in which case you had to be born on American soil.

But being brought here as a child - there's no provision for a green card.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.