How long is too long for a fanfiction chapter?

I just started work on a pretty heavyweight fanfiction, a fusion of two of my favorite shows. Basically, the events of Show A take place in the world of Show B. Each chapter is one full episode of Show A, rewritten to fit in the new setting. But because each episode is around 40-45 minutes long, I have a lot of ground to cover in each chapter. I’m halfway through the first episode and I feel like my chapter length may end up being around 10k. Is this too much? Do you as fanfiction readers like having that much to read? I’m updating biweekly, so 10k every two weeks too much to handle?

All of the above suggestions.

• Logan

10k is fine, people love big updates. So long as you have an actual blank line between your paragraphs so it's not 10k of wall text you're fine.

If it's all dialogue, 45 minutes on screen is about 6000 to 7000 words. The only other data point I can offer is from my stats on Wattpad. People don't always finish chapters longer than about 2500 words. So if you're writing episodes, you could split them into acts, maybe where the ad breaks would be in the TV show.

• Andrew

That's only about 20 pages. It's pretty standard actually. A 250 page book divided into 10 chapters would come out to roughly 25 pages apiece. You might trim it down when you proofread and edit later. Once it's been revised it could wind up being half its length.