Anonymous

Can university cameras monitor your phone ?

I mean can the camera see what you have open on your phone screen? What about if you use a laptop, can they see your computer screen? I’ll bet you they could.

I’m not talking about your internet but like your physical laptop screen and phone screen or journal or books your physically reading?

• Lv 7

Typically security cameras only record movement. Settings can be changed though to continuously record. The video quality of the recording is typically pretty low. I doubt the camera can see more than general blobs of shapes and colors, meaning specific words are probably not visible. Also I don't see how a security camera could zoom in far enough to read a tiny phone screen with text messages. Unless they are using an HD camera like a GoPro, then they probably can't see it.

There's no security camera inside your dorm room.

That the security cameras in "public" areas (student lounges, classrooms, walkways etc.) are sensitive enough to read what's on your screen is possible, but unlikely. We're not talking the CIA, here; just a college campus. They're not likely to be focused on your phone, anyway; the security cameras are meant to deter theft, assault, vandalism, etc., not cybercrime. They certainly don't care what books you're reading! ("Code Blue! Code Blue! Student in the Annenberg lounge is reading a Stephen King novel instead of her organic chemistry textbook!")

They can and do monitor use of their internet services for illegal uses.

Private universities yes, public universities it s questionable and depends on the state privacy laws.

They'll monitor everything if any suspicious activity & people looking up explicit sites

The university monitors you if you are using their internet service. In terms of security, they will monitor every student if they're suspicious.