Anonymous

What math do you actually use in Architecture? ?

I've been pondering this question for about 2 years now. So I am in high school and plan on becoming an architect once I graduate. I was thinking more like homes and smaller buildings to keep it simple. I want to be an architect, but I don't even know what specific math that architects use. I know for sure they geometry, but I don't know anything else. 

"It depends". Depends on what kind of architectural design you engage in. For regular and common building forms, or for regular calculations that come with templates, and so forth - you do not need to be a math wizard. You can get work done with simplicity.

Having said that, if you are good at math, you will be able to do most calculations, or verify other people's calculations, much quicker without using a computer or calculator. I would go as far as to say, being skilled at math will influence the way you think, primarily about design, but in the big picture, about everything. If math intimidates you, stop thinking about learning it, and think about daily life situations where you could use it. I realize you did not ask for advice, but I have to, or else I'd feel guilty. You'll feel like a winner when you solve real-world problems, especially when you help others. In summary, with math, there's a good probability that you'd be a better architect. No guarantee though.

Back to design. There are people who see numbers. Same as the way you see lines, shapes, and colors. They may not be good at explaining their mental math, but their design work could confirm with the most profound theories of geometry, calculus, fractals, natural proportions, the list goes on. With practice, you can get there. Focus and hard work, together with an agenda.

You're right about geometry. In addition to this, architects also need strong knowledge of trigonometry, algebra, and calculus. Advanced mathematics knowledge is required, because a lot of the work you do will be based on mathematical calculations. You should also have a good idea of units of measurement, etc... Not only that, but studying math will also help you develop better problem solving and analytical skills which are needed for the job.

• John

Architects need to be well versed in advanced mathematics. The old saying about architects and engineers is that anyone can build something strong, but you have to know how to build it strong and light. One needs advanced math for that.

• Lv 7

Geometry comes to mind because you have to work with shapes when designing a building.

Yes. Trigonometry specifically comes in handy. I've heard stories where math was a tool in construction work

One needs to be adept at math for architecture, namely algebra, geometry and trigonometry, to deal with the array of dimensions, quantities, area, volume and other geometric relationships. This plays into spatial thinking and patterns.

geometry calculus trigonometry and many others