Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Is my heat pump frozen because I used it on air conditioning when the temp outside was only in the sixties?

I have mold in my home and using it on cold air helps keep the mold spores down. Also, the outside fan keeps spinning. I turned off the circuit breaker, but that didn't stop the spinning. Thank you

Should I turn the unit to from cold to heat?

I turned off the circuit breaker. I hope that it's OK to do that until morning.

Thanks for all the great advice!

• elhigh
    Best Answer

If the outside unit never stopped running, your contactor might be stuck closed.

The contactor is a kind of relay that is operated by the thermostat. Its contact pads can weld themselves together and then, even though the thermostat is trying to tell the unit it can turn off, the unit CAN'T turn off because the switch cannot open. When the unit is in cooling mode, this can absolutely lead to the unit freezing over, regardless of what the temperature is outside.

DO NOT turn from cold to heat if the unit cannot turn off. Turn it off at the breaker and call a pro.

The outdoor temperature isn't having an effect, extended use does cause more wear.

Shutting off with the condenser fan motor still spinning isn't particularly an issue. If the compressor was working then restoring power immediately can be an issue. But if the compressor is locked up then no harm is likely. But get service before you do damage by repeatedly stressing electrical components.

And get a dehumidifier. https://amzn.to/2W9U1ex

• Jason

Probably, ac don’t like it when it’s cold out. Or you could be low on Freon.

• y

Turn it off and allow it to thaw, it should be all right but one never knows. If you wish to run AC when the ambient temps are low, you should look into having a fan pressure control installed.