Who remembers when Jessie, James and Meowth actually did something to move the anime forward rather than just being a punchline?

I think it was after Pokémon 2000 that the Team Rocket trio became less actual characters and more what equals to quick visual gags before they 'blast off again'.

Watching Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! this and some of the battle sequences being 'blurry' (?) was my only real issue with the film. Jessie, James & Meowth literally show-up for a quick gag before 'blasting off again' throughout the entire film, they never even encounter Ash or do anything and to be honest the current voice cast isn't for me Jessie sounds fine but Meowth and James are way off in my opinion.

Best Answer

I do not remember the last time Pokemon anime was moving into the territory of story and sense, what I meant is that this anime is notorious for repeating the same scenario again and again and again in past 20 years. Ash begins his journey with Pikachu, gets starter pokemon of current gen pokemon games, beats gym leaders, gets stucked at one point, loses his gym badges to Team Rocket and finally losing in few rounds (with few exceptions like Orange league and Alola league), rinse and repeat so hoping Jessie, James and Mewto doing anything remarkable is just a wishful thinking.

• Well up to Gen II Jessie James and Meowth did do something like try to steal Pikachu, etc. Now they just seem to pop-in, say a line each, something happens and 'we're blasting off again'.

It has been years since I have seen the anime. The only time I can recall Team Rocket being more proactive were in the episodes leading up to the First Movie and they end up replacing Giovanni as gym leaders.

• I know. You said the same comment for the other answer. I assume that after hundreds of episodes, the show is simply following a formula in order to maintain a sizable fanbase. Which probably means keeping Team Rocket as purely comic relief.