We are building our house... The builder has revealed that he will use marble tiles in between the granite stairs.. Is that possible?

The granite is dark gray and marble tiles are off white in color.....I mean i haven't seen any stairs like this before having both granite and marble.

My husband says that he is doing this just to save money bcoz marble is a bit cheaper

Yes , it's very possible

Combination of marble and granite won't go so well with stairs. Choose either one depending upon where the stairs are located and the color combination of the surrounding walls to make it beautiful. Sometimes carpets are good only if your willing for it and its within your budget.

• B

this does not sound right. it is your money and your house, right? typically granite would be grouted, not marble inbetween. sounds like he is trying to up the bill with cutting marble, and shorting on the size of the granite.

I prefer carpet on stairs, especially if there are children or old people, because people slip and fall on marble or wood stairs.

• ron h

The word is not "revealed."  It's "suggested" or "recommended."  The contrast sounds good, but right now, I can't picture the look of tile in my mind, so I'm not at all sure about the look. Ask the builder if he's got any pic's or that look and ask if it's a matter of cost. 

• equal

ha ha ha more problems Mrs Caesar ? your husbands in Egypt again with that Pharaoh woman I know , Marble and granite indeed

• elhigh

"The builder has revealed?"

Who's in charge here, you or him? If you want granite, you get granite. If you're willing to let him dictate to you what changes are made to the interior design that's your lookout, but if you let him drift down that road a little, he'll take it upon himself to make other changes. And every change you don't notice, he'll probably pocket at least some of the savings.

There are numerous examples of stairs with contrast risers mixing grainite and marble. (Just Google.) However I am not a fan as it gives the game away that it all a veneer, and I prefer my stone in sheet rather than tile form - which does look cheap even if it isn't. Mixing stones is usually OK but mixing it with ceramic is usually a no-no. But I would always opt for having it consistent. A lot of the cost is in the fixing so I doubt he is rucking you on the cost, although he can probaby get marble thinner which is OK for the risers.

More importantly astrong contrast like is being suggested is confusing on the eye which may make the stair unsafe to use. (A contrast nosing is a different matter) At the end of the day it is your stair so have what you like, not what the builder proposes.

Why, if you are paying him, is he dictating materials and colour? If you aren't happy with his proposals tell him what you prefer.

• It's your house; design it the way you want, not the way you fit in to society