Am I able to become a police officer while in the marine corps reserves and if so how long is the process to become a police officer?

im about to be getting out of marines active duty soon within a year and I am trying to prepare myself for when that time comes I don't want to serve active again but I am considering going into the reserve side in case I struggle getting a good job and if I am able to be a police officer how long is the process to join especially with my already military background

• Mrsjvb

your being military does nothing  WRT your eligibility for any Police Academy or other training.   it does give veteran's preference which gives you a slight edge over being hired instead of someone with equal qualifications without prior military experience.  

most departments require a bachelor's degree as a first prerequisite.  and every department has its own timeline  WRT to the hiring process, then your training.  

• Daniel

Yes, you can be a cop and be a Reservist.

There are thousands of police departments in the country.  Each one has its own hiring process and job requirements.  You're going to have to go to their websites to see what each one requires.

Many larger departments only test once every few years.  Some hire more frequently.  Don't plan on being able to leave active duty and start as a cop the next day.

• R K

it would help to know what your job in the military is. if you were a cook or a mechanic,

that won't help anything. go to the entity that the police dept works for, be it a city, county

or state. the personnel office will have a job description sheet that lists the qualifications

for the position of police officer. and what you need to apply.

• Frank

Most police forces are looking for college educated individuals who have an understanding or degree of law and law enforcement. Don’t ask us, call a police force of your choosing.