Re: Romans 3:31 How do we "establish the law"?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The point of the verse is the purpose of Old Law was to bring God’s people to Christ.  The Old Testament looked forward to a time when Christ would come.

Therefore, by believing in Christ, we are not destroying the Law, but we are doing what the Law intended.  The law was intended to bring us to a point where we could have faith in Christ.

Therefore we “establish the law”, “uphold the law”,  “are supporting the law” or “confirm the law” in our lives.  One version ends that verse with “Faith causes us to be what the law truly wants.”

• Norine4 weeks agoReport

"Then said the Lord unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it" (Jeremiah 1:12). GOD IS WAITING for us to "ESTABLISH WHAT HE SAID" (Rm 3:31) and "BE A WITNESS UNTO HIM" of "HIS POWER" (Acts 1:8).

• 4 weeks ago

God still has commandments. New Covenant, new rules. Faith without works (and obedience) is dead, and so are we.

The religion of Christianity have KILLED you people and all YOUR [Isaiah 64:6] works are DEAD because they were by YOUR faith and NOT "the faith ***OF*** Christ" (Gal 2:16) which is NOTHING TO GOD but "FILTHY RAGS" (Isaiah 64:6).

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

First, you pay attention to the context.

Second, you avoid using assumption when understanding what Paul meant when he used the word "law." 

In context, the "law" is everything written in the 5 books penned by Moses, seeing as he is discussing Abraham. In this law, two things of note are being discussed and therefore "established."

1) God's justice being met through the sacrifice of the Son.

2) Righteousness through faith, and not through the legalities of the covenant law given to, and required of the Hebrews.

Verse 31 then is to be understood in relation to v. 27 and this law of faith, and not the law of works, aka the old covenant law.

You KEEP "reading in context" while I >>>RECEIVE mine FROM HEAVEN"<<< (John 3:27)!

• 4 weeks ago

Clearly: "through faith".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

What religion are you part of? I've never seen anyone ask so many bizarre questions and I am honestly curious what religious cult is teaching these things.

GOD IS WATCHING US (Jer 23:24) and we ***ALL*** must stand before the judgment seat of Christ" (II Cor 5:10) for what we've done in our bodies including what we've said ME INCLUDED. So don't do that! If you don't know BE QUIET and go "STUDY" Scriptures given praying GOD is this right!

• 4 weeks ago

My version doesn't say that. It simply says "...uphold the law."

If we "uphold the [OT] law" we have left "grace" (Rm 11:6)

• 4 weeks ago

I wish Jehovah's Witnesses would answer that question.

Why don't YOU answer the question (II Peter 3:15). Every man is responsible for his own "answer to every man"

• Doug
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The "New Law" is the law of faith, through the power of God's grace, by which we are justified and sanctified, according to the will of God. The entire passage explains it, but Saint Paul sums it up here:

Romans 3:28  For we account a man to be justified by faith, without the works of the law. 

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org

People need to stop believing in an IMAGINARY salvation when the Scriptures says something TOTALLY different.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

"establish" is Greek histēmi meaning to stand by it

Paul was a Jewish Christian - the only kind of true Jew there is. He stood by the law. He realized the importance of the law in the grand scheme of things. It eventually brought his people the Jews to Jesus Christ who is the Grace of God.

That verse does not apply equally to those of us today as it did to those in Pauls day.

• Jennifer
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Post-resurrection is post-resurrection. What's different for us?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.