Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Only weight lifting helps my anxiety, but I injured my spine and cannot lift weights now and can't live like this?

I'm only 31. I'm a male. I have severe anxiety and depression, but weight lifting has always helped significantly. In fact, the only times when I haven't needed to be medicated in any way were when I was going to the gym.

But I hurt my back traumatically and I have herniated discs in my thoracic spine. I cannot lift real weights now. I hate being grossly thin, being unhealthy, being less attractive to women, and feeling vulnerable. My anxiety is off the charts now as I consider an entire adult lifetime with no weight training whatsoever.

When you can't do the only thing in life that you enjoy, what's the point of continuing?

• can't you go swimming regularly instead? that always helps my anxiety.

You want to end it all because you can't lift weights? You need serious help.

• oikoσ

There are lifts you can do without stressing your spine.