Do You Enjoy Gospel Rock?

There's a lot of great theology in today's gospel music. But I'll admit it. I'm in my 60s and feel more comfortable singing traditional gospel. Maybe I'm getting old.

• Emily
    Best Answer

Hello, David. I enjoy all forms of Gospel music – hymns, rock, hip hop etc. While I do have some favorites, old and new, most of them encourage me in a special way.

It depends on what is being said and how Biblical it is. Lyrics like "Rockin' for the Rock...." just doesn't cut it any longer. I believe in the liberty that the Church has in Christ but as Paul said about our freedom is that all things are not profitable or beneficial and the really hard stuff is just like that

The Gospel Roots of Rock and Soul project held the Philadelphia premiere of a wonderful new documentary on Sunday, February 25th, 2018 at the Prince Theatre, with a screening of a marvelous documentary How They Got Over: Gospel Quartets and the Road to Rock & Roll, a film by Robert Clem. The documentary tells the story of African-American quartets who traveled the back roads of the Deep South in the 1930s and 40s creating a hard gospel sound and energetic performing style that foreshadowed doo-wop, R&B, soul, and rock. It features performances and interviews with the Dixie Hummingbirds, Blinds Boys of Alabama, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Soul Stirrers, Fairfield Four, Sensational Nightingales, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Mighty Clouds of Joy, Highway QCs and mo

I’m also in my 60’s. Grew up Lutheran but total atheist now. I loved the hymns we sang in church and still do. Contemporary Christian rock is square. And it sounds very, very dated in style. It’s ironic because rock is secular and originally seen as sinful devil music. Rock music is used to pull in young people.

Wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but from what little I've heard from modern faith based music is pretty dope.  The young artist today are amazingly impressive, and beyond their years.  I am always open to, and supportive, of anything with a positive and unifying message, no matter what genre it comes from.  

not at all............

We call those songs "7-11", or seven words repeated eleven times. I am surprised by the comment that the songs have great theology. I find that to be true rarely, but then the hymns written over 100 years ago were not written in an afternoon.

• Mog

Gospel Metal. Like this.

Burn In Heaven, by Multiple Godgasm https://youtu.be/Nm24xhHFxtA

Youtube thumbnail

I'm an atheist, but some gospel music is actually quite pretty. Contemporary Christian, and it's relatives, are watered-down muzak.

• Enigma

Depends what is being said and how Biblical it is. Lyrics like "Rockin' for the Rock...." just doesn't cut it any longer. I believe in the liberty that the Church has in Christ but like Paul said about our freedom is that all things are not profitable or beneficial and the really hard stuff is just like that.

I listen to Christian deathcore

• A C

No. It's worldly and doesn't honor God.