Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

If I keep using unbranded gasoline only, will it damage my car in any way?

I have 2015 Kia Rio. I've been using unbranded gas mostly for the past 4 years. So far no problems and everything seems fine.

Top tier I'm not sure if it's even necessary. The car manual only says it should be 87 octane unleaded. It never mentions anything else.

Best Answer

Top Tier is a trademark, Kia has decided to not endorse that trademarked product. If you buy products labelled "Top Tier" you increase your odds of consistently getting a product that can keep your fuel system cleaner and operating efficiently.

It is possible you are still buying fuel that is top tier quality when buying from unbranded fuel, but don't buy the argument all fuel leaving a refinery is the same quality. The base stock could be the same, but it is easy to add detergent at the rail when filling trucks.

Fuel distribution companies buy fuel from the local refinery. Depending where you live, it's probably the same fuel sold all over town. The difference in pricing is a business decision based on volume discounts and acceptable margins. Not every petroleum company has a refinery in every area; they buy from their competition and return the favour as required. End of the day, gas companies just want to sell gas to anyone buying, including to their opposition.

• don r

If it was going to mess up anything, it wouldn't take 4 years to do it.

Branding is companies putting their name on the pumps.   You pay for the name.  Some gas stations just charge more for the name.  The gasoline is the same fuel used by any other station as it is all from a hole in the ground.

.  No hurt car in any way.  Just cheaper.

I doubt it very much.

As already implied it probably all comes form the same source anyway. I have a friend who is a site operator at a fuel depot, where they receive into their tanks the various grades of fuel by ship. It then goes into the road tankers as they arrive and goes out to the various gas stations, branded and unbranded, by the same tankers. The only exception is for Shell, who have their own compound on site and add their own special brew of additives before the tanker leaves. The tankers are actually owned and operated by a transport company, not a fuel company, and they may be branded or not, depending on which vehicle is available. Sometimes you may see a tanker marked with an upmarket brand delivering to an unbranded gas station or even to a rival branded station.

• Ron

WTF does it being unbranded have to do with anything?

• Dimo

HAH! A KIA is sold in Mexico, and can run Mexican Gasoline.

Pay for advertising and lots of executive staff by buying major brands. Most gasoline has not much difference except additives. And those have questionable effectiveness.

Source(s): My dad was an exec at the oil company that started the petroleum industry in Pennsylvania in 1859, which came from the Drake well in Titusville.

No. It won't. It's a simple low compression engine. It isn't like you have a temperamental European turbo engine.

The ONLY actual difference between brands is the added detergents.

In all likelihood, the unbranded station actually buys fuel from the same place as a local branded station. In fact, it is entirely possible multiple branded stations in the area receive fuel deliveries from the same tanker truck.

• .

I have used "unbranded" gas for 50 years now with no problems