Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 4 weeks ago

my sister impulsively bought a hamster!?

i don’t really know what to do about this, but my sister literally just came home with a cute little syrian. so i have a ROBO hamster. her name is marshmallow my sister named her syrian toffee. both female. my mom was thinking that she could put toffee in marshmallows cage without me knowing, which i wasn’t gonna allow anyway. and my sister before i got my own hamster bought a crittertail cage from chewy.com. i told her that cage was too small for any hamster and she was upset. she’s in a big tank now perfectly happy. but this syrian, i dont know what to do. she’s in a crittertail cage. can barely move, has no bedding (she’s been trying to burrow for the last ten minutes) and she just can’t. she was filling her food bowl up with bedding i honestly don’t know what to do. my mom wants her to take it back. but my sister gets attatched too easily. she’s also 18 years old. she meant no harm for toffee, i know that. she wanted what’s best. she just is really uneducated about their care, and actually was arguing with me because i was trying to help her. any help?

wanted to update with this. my sister said she talked to the pet store about this and she was told it was a female and that this cage was fine. i told her that they never know what they’re talking about and asked if she’s ever heard the pet store horror stories that come with it. 

So? Its NOT your hamster.

She is an adult so she can buy one if she wants and if the parents allow it then tough. Not yours.

• Nathan

If she knows about the minimum requirement for a cage being 80x50cm, and that a Syrian hamster needs an 11" wheel or their back will painfully arch, aswell as needing a minimum of 6" of bedding then she is NEGLECTING her animal. In the UK a shelter can take a hamster who's basic needs are not being met, so she needs to know that you are willing to report this if it means the hamster won't be subjected to a cruel life.

Show her YouTube's like ErinsAnimals and Victoria rachel, and Google "minimum requirement for hamsters" where the first result will be 80x50cm.

maybe you should get a bigger cage to fit both of them

• gee3 weeks agoReport

Do not comment you know nothing, HAMSTERS CANNOT LIVE TOGERHER. even drawfs should not live togerhet even though they can get along. mixing a syrain and robo means the robo will 100% be killed by the syrain. not ifs ands or butts about it.