Donna S asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Scout has separation anxiety?

My 18 month old black lab, she weighs 80 lbs.  has severe separation anxiety. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old. She has eaten drywall, shoes furniture etc.etc. I'm usually home with her all day. We play Frisbee, catch, swim.etc. but when I try to leave the house she goes absolutely crazy she will do anything she can to stop me from leaving. Bite my arm (not hard). Block the door, take my shoes off my feet. Jumps on me and the door. If she gets out the front door.( Yard is completely fenced) and I try to get out of the gate she does everything she can to get out. Or keep me in. My neighbors actually come out to see whos going to win.  I have tried treats and tricking her. But she doesn't fall for any of it. I have tried to leave a hour before I need to  because I no it's going to be major event. She's hard headed, barely listens. Can't take her any place without having someone else with me. She's strong. Need help

Talk to your vet about medication and behavior modification (or google the latter online) for separation anxiety. I doubt the Thunder Shirt will help enough, in this already extreme case. Tying.chaining the dog up, or placing in a "special" escape-proof crate or roofed & floored kennel run, or putting in doggie day care..... are your options.

maybe you can make her a service dog and that way you can take her everywhere you go

Google Thunder Shirt.You can get them at Petsmart