Mechanical Hard Drive vs. SD card.  Which generally reads faster?

One very important thing that's being left out (though you are getting great/accurate info from these people, so that's good) but basically if you do go say with a UHS-ii with a read/write of lets say 300 mb/s both ways, any pro will tell you that you really need to splurge on the high end card reader (ONLY IF YOU'RE NOT ACHIEVING THOSE SPEEDS WITH CURRENT EQUIPMENT,) but that said, you might mistake is for bull, but then throw it in my favorite $80 card reader vs my $12 one and suddenly the speeds are so close to being achieved exactly that the difference is nominal (<13mb/s away from 300 for instance.)

Source(s): experience

Generally speaking consumer level SD cards are slower than typical mechanical HDDs. However, once you get into UHS-II and UHS-III SD cards (typically used in higher end professional cameras/video cameras) get faster. UHS-II cards give about the the same read/write speeds as a mechanical HDD (but with much faster random seek/access times) and UHS-III cards are faster than mechanical HDD's in all aspects, but still slower than a SATA SSD. However most people only have equipment that can use the capability of UHS-I cards at most.

The maximum read/write speed of a mechanical HDD is 180MB/s.

The maximum read/write speed of a SD card is 120MB/s

The maximum read/write speed of a 2.5" SATA SSD is 560MB/s

The maximum read/write speed of a NVMe SSD is 3600MB/s

• Rocky2 weeks agoReport

savvy* also, m
      .
      2 is
      claiming
      to be going over 5000
      mb/s
       with
      it's
      latest
      gen
       and the right
      mobos
      , but ive seen some really well respected
      youtubers
       debunk the manufacturers' claims, so I agree with 3600 until I see anything higher with my own eyes, but at least they have RGB now! (◔_◔)

SD cards are slower. The fastest ones have read write of up to 80MB/ second.

Mechanical hard drives achieve ~120MB/ second.

Solid state hard drives do even better.

• fodaddy19
      3 weeks agoReport

Some UHS-III cards can transfer upwards of 300 MB/s . But 99% of the population doesn't have the kind of equipment that utilizes them. The fastest UHS-I cards top out at around 120-150 MB/s in benchmarking, about the same as a slower mechanical HDD. 80-90 MB/S is typical for middling SD cards.

There are some very fast SD cards out nowadays if you get one of them it's going to be the SD card that reads faster. But the old SD cards that are only USB speed 2 are slower that a good hard drive

• .

In my experience, especially with large files, the mechanical hard drive reads faster.