Whitney_Gwen asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

What breeds do you think the puppy I'm getting is?

Today my husband and I put down a deposit on a puppy we are adopting (on Friday!) from Mamco Rescue (aka Mom's and Mutts, a Colorado Rescue for Pregnant and Nursing Dogs) in Denver, CO. We are so excited to bring home the newest member of our family; she is currently named Cameron but we are in the process of figuring out what we want to name her! But, the question I have for all of you is- do you have any guesses as to what breeds she is? We know she is part beagle (her mom, Eleanor (I will attach a photo), is a mixed beagle breed of some sort but they do not know with what). All they are able to say for Cameron is that she is a beagle mix as well, but estimate that she will be a medium sized dog (probably closer to the 25-35lb side of that range). We are just curious to see what others think she may be mixed with/ how she will grow both size and coat wise. These are the only photos I have for now, but I'll add more once we have her! Thank you all in advance!

I spoke to the rescue agency again and found out she was born on August 26th, 2019. They don't have a weight on her or mom, but the woman on the phone, who has met Eleanor, said she would guess maybe 40ish pounds (if that helps at all).

Sorry for my poor wording, I meant the rescue was guessing Cameron's mom (Eleanor) is 40ish pounds!

A mutt of many breeds. IMPOSSIBLE to know this young what breeds are in there.

I've never heard of a shelter taking deposits for puppies. You simply pay the adoption fee once approved to adopt. Is this a legitimate rescue or a backyard breeder of mutts?.

I don't see any Beagle in that pup. Genetics are really hard to figure out & maybe a DNA test may give you all the breeds in her. You could be really surprised.

Back in the early 1980's one of my grooming clients brought me 6 new born puppies, their umbilical cords were still wet. They should have let the pups alone but they picked them up & brought them to me.

The mama dog was described as being a solid black spaniel type dog. She popped out 3 Chow Chow pups & 3 Lab pups. None of the pups had the looks of the mother.

'shrug shoulders', IDK. DNA

There is NO WAY the puppy in the picture (or any 8 week old puppy) is 40 lbs. (Try 6 to 10 lbs in the picture.) Did you mean to say they expect her to reach about 40 lbs? She really does NOT look like a Beagle..... AT ALL!

I think I see Border Collie or Aussie. I assume you've read up on various Beagle health issues, so you have some idea of what to expect or be aware of.

The National Breed Club recommends the following tests:

Hip dysplasia evaluation

Eye certification

DNA test for Musladin-Lueke Syndrome (MLS)

Health screening for autoimmune thyroid disease, or cardiac screening

Musladin-Lueke Syndrome (MLS) can cause joint contractures, and stiff skin, which can sometimes lead to epilepsy, or issues walking.

You should ask to see the DNA results for both parent dogs to ensure they are clear of this syndrome.

Hip dysplasia evaluation

Eye certification

(Had this been a pure bred Beagle; you could have asked to see the DNA results for both parent dogs to ensure they are clear of this syndrome.)

An inherited blood clotting issue can also affect Beagles, due to a Factor VII due to a deficiency.

Neonatal Cerebellar Cortical Degeneration (NCCD) affects a number of breeds, including the Beagle.

• E. H. Amos
      4 weeks agoReport

Bernese Mt. dogs are RARE and very large. It would be difficult for a beagle cross (if 40 lbs) to BIRTH puppies sired by a Bernese. Yes the coloring works, but I suspect it is a HUGE MIX of breeds. Beagle pups can be born with black on face that FADES.